Week 1 Discussion
Please no plagiarism and make sure you are able to access all resource on your own before you bid. Main references come from Capuzzi, D., & Stauffer, M. D. (2012) and/or American Psychological Association (2010). You need to have scholarly support for any claim of fact or recommendation regarding treatment. APA format also requires headings. Use the prompt each week to guide your heading titles and organize the content of your initial post under the appropriate headings. Remember to use scholarly research from peer-reviewed articles that is current. I have also attached my discussion rubric so you can see how to make full points. Please follow the instructions to get full credit for the discussion. I need this completed by 05/29/19 at 6pm.
Discussion – Week 1
Top of Form
The History of Career Counseling
As you begin this course on vocational psychology and counseling, take a moment to reflect on your own ideas about the various uses of career counseling. As a professional who will be working with a variety of clients, it is important to understand both the history of career counseling and its potential future. In this Discussion, you will consider some of the major developments in vocational/career counseling, and investigate future possibilities.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review the chapter on historical foundations, focusing on the stages in the development of vocational/career counseling.
- As you review the stages, think about the developments at each stage. Which do you believe have made major contributions to and/or led to significant progress in the overall development of vocational/career counseling?
- Conduct an internet search (start with the NCDA Website!) for predictions about the future of careers and jobs.
- Consider how you might use both your selected historical development and the information contained in your selected “future career/jobs predictions” resource in your future work with clients.
With these thoughts in mind:
Post by Day 4 a brief description of one major historical development that is most meaningful to you and why. Then describe the information you discovered in the resource about the future of jobs/careers that you selected. Discuss how you might use both your selected historical development and your selected “future predictions” resource in providing vocational/career counseling today.
Be sure to support your postings and responses with specific references to the Learning Resources.
Bottom of Form
· Capuzzi, D., & Stauffer, M. D. (2012). Career counseling: Foundations, perspectives, and applications. (2nd ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson Education.
o Chapter 1, “Historical Influences on the Evolution of Vocational Counseling ”
· Video: Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2007). Vocational psychology and counseling: Introduction. Baltimore: Author.
· with Dr. Darrell Luzzo
· Note: The approximate length of this media piece is 5 minutes.
· Accessible player –Downloads– Download Video w/CC Download Audio
· Video: Walden University Career Services. (2015). Self Knowledge Tools to Enhance Your Competitive Edge. Retrieved from:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glLe8qqoKBE&feature=youtu.be
· National Career Development Association. (2015). Internet sites for career planning. Retrieved from www.ncda.org/aws/NCDA/pt/sp/resources