The purpose of this assignment is to refresh your understanding of the elements of short fiction, examine more closely the use of symbolism in short stories, and apply that new understanding in an analysis of a short story.
- Click on the following YouTube links and watch the presentations on short fiction terms and elements:
- Elements of Literature with Mr. Taylor (Part 1)
- Elements of Literature with Mr. Taylor (Part 2)
- this presentation on symbolism in literature:
- Symbols in Literature
- on the following link and read “Lorry Raja” by Madhuri Vijay. The first time you read the story, simply enjoy it:
- Lorry Raja (NOTE: This site requires registration – registration is free.)
- What does each symbol seem to represent?
- How does it contribute to an overall sense or meanings of the story?
- Use just a few words; complete sentences are not required.
- What is the symbol?
- What does it seem to represent?
- How does it contribute to the meaning or beauty of the story?
- Consider whether or not it reveals something about a character or intensifies the power of the setting or underscores conflicts or visually represents ideas or feelings that are difficult to express in words.