Solving A Business Problem
Prepare for this assignment by selecting a business-related topic. This can be a business topic you would like to research to gain new insight that will be helpful to you in your current work environment, or it might simply be a business topic you are interested in. Some examples of business topics include:
- Workplace diversity.
- Management techniques.
- Marketing trends.
- Change management.
As you choose your topic, think about how knowing more about that topic will improve your career or advance your organization’s mission. Selecting an appropriate topic will enable you to develop a sound argument that is supported by expert knowledge.
Once you have your topic, identify a problem or challenge associated with that topic. For example, if your topic is workplace diversity, the associated problem might be the challenge faced by organizations in creating a productive, healthy, and supportive work environment.
Next, research your topic and problem. Locate 3–7 reputable resources on the topic. The resources you choose will help you to define the focus of your research and writing. For example, if your topic is workplace diversity and your problem is how organizations can create a productive and supportive work environment, your research may lead you to focus on how company policies can influence the work environment. Your research should also help you develop possible solutions to the problem.
Now, suppose the topic and problem you have selected are also primary concerns for your organization’s leadership. You have been asked to research the topic and problem and prepare a written recommendation for the executive board that includes your evaluation of the problem.
Prepare a 3–5 page recommendation for the executive board using the following outline.
- Title page.
- Introduction: Problem Statement.
- Define the business problem.
- Importance of Problem.
- Explain how the business problem affects the organization and the consequences of not solving the problem.
- Possible Solutions.
- Describe possible solutions to the business problem, and explain how each is relevant to the organization.
- Advantages and Limitations of Possible Solutions for the Problem.
- Explain the advantages and limitations of possible solutions to the business problem, including aspects of costs, efficiencies, and effectiveness.
- Recommended Solution.
- Recommend a solution to the business problem, and explain how the solution is right for an organization in terms of cost, needs, organizational culture, and effectiveness.
- Organizational Sustainability.
- Explain how your recommended solution to the business problem will result in increased sustainability with regard to profit and/or customer and employee satisfaction.
- As a summary, justify and support your recommended solution to the business problem with relevant evidence and sound reasoning.
- References page.
Your recommendation should be 3–5 pages of content, well organized, and written in clear, succinct language. Follow APA rules for attributing sources that support your analysis and conclusions.
Academic Integrity and APA Formatting
As a reminder related to using APA rules to ensure academic honesty:
- When using a direct quote (using exact or nearly exact wording), you must enclose the quoted wording in quotation marks, immediately followed by an in-text citation. The source must then be listed on your references page.
- When paraphrasing (using your own words to describe a non-original idea), the paraphrased idea must be immediately followed by an in-text citation, and the source must be listed on your references page.
Refer to the scoring guide to ensure that your work meets the grading criteria for this assignment.
- Written communication: Communication should be clear, well-organized, and support a central idea, with no technical writing errors, as expected of a business professional.
- References: References and citations are formatted in consistent style, with a preference for using APA style and formatting.
- Number of resources: Use a minimum of three scholarly resources related to the content of the assignment.
- Length of paper: Approximately 3–5 typed, double-spaced pages in addition to the title and references pages.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
Once you have completed your assignment, submit your paper to SafeAssign as a draft. Review the report and correct any citations you missed or cited incorrectly before submitting your assignment for grading.
Your paper is due by 11:59 pm central standard time on Friday.
Note: Your instructor may use the Writing Feedback Tool when grading this assignment. The Writing Feedback Tool is designed to provide you with guidance and resources to develop your writing based on five core skills. You will find writing feedback in the Scoring Guide for the assignment, once your work has been evaluated. Learn more about the Writing Feedback Tool on the course Tools and Resources page.
Your Work will be evaluated using this criteria.
By successfully completing this assignment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assignment criteria:
- Competency 1: Explain the underlying principles of successful businesses.
- Explain how a business problem affects an organization.
- Explain how a solution to a business problem will result in increased sustainability.
- Competency 3: Solve business problems using critical thinking and effective decision making.
- Describe possible solutions to a business problem.
- Explain the advantages and limitations of possible solutions to a business problem.
- Support a recommended solution to a business problem with relevant evidence.
- Competency 5: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with expectations for the field of business.
- Organize content so ideas flow logically with smooth transitions.
- Apply APA formatting to in-text citations and references.