Writing a Research Paper
Some general guidelines to keep in mind while writing a research paper.
Finding a Researchable Topic
• Try to narrow down two or three topics that truly interests you• Talk with your course instructor and classmates about your topics• Pose your topics as a question to be answered or a problem to be solved
Finding, Selecting, and Reading Sources
You will need to look at the following types of sources:
• Look up library books using catalog on Moodle or library page on the website. Search using the keyword or subject.• Use LIRN. This database has peer reviewed full text articles, E-books, newspaper articles etc.• Open courseware, Magazine and newspaper articles can provide you with some facts.• Primary vs. secondary sources
The following systems will help keep you organized:
• Create an annotated bibliography for all your resources. This allows you to cite, summarize and evaluate resources.• Use Bibme, Citefast or Refdot etc. to organize your content• If you want to use 10 references, plan to research three times more that would be around 30.
Start your paper from bottom up
• Start by writing references. • Once you have enough material to start, work on the topic, its significance, etc.• Use your referenced material to enhance your topic, refute it or build on it.• Any time a quote is used from the above organized material, provide in text citation.
Writing the Body
• Use outline and prospectus as flexible guides• Build your essay around points you want to make (i.e., don’t let your sources organize your paper)• Integrate your sources into your discussion• Summarize, analyze, explain, and evaluate published work rather than merely reporting it
• After completing your paper, write an abstract summarizing the paper.
• Make sure all the in text citations have references. In APA, references have to be alphabetized. They have to follow hanging indentation.• Generally balance your references by having some from peer-reviewed journals, some from books and some from internet resources.
Revise the Final Draft
• Go through the APA format checklist.• Make sure there is no bias in writing.• Put the paper through plagiarism detector• Check capitalizations, indents, levels of headings, in text citations, tables etc. for correct usage.
any topic related to business ethic