12 questions, answers should be 100-200 words in response with 1 reference in APA format.
Provide answers to all 12 questions with 100-200 words with 1 reference (APA format)
1. Provide some examples of discrete and continuous variables. What attributes of these variables make them discrete and continuous? Why?
2. Describe the term mutually exclusive. Provide some examples. Must the values of x in a discrete probability distribution always be mutually exclusive? Why or why not? Provide an example.
3. You just saw an ad on television that states the majority of the population would vote to make smoking illegal. The poll that is referenced shows 53% of those asked supported making smoking illegal. In the fine print at the bottom of the screen, you see that the margin of error is +/- 3%. What is your reaction? Explain.
4. As the marketing director of Harley-Davidson, you need to determine what your customers would like in the next model. You put a survey on the Harley website. Is this a good frame from which to select your sample? Explain.
5. Your mayor just announced that the local unemployment rate dropped last month from the prior month. It went from 10.5% to 10.4%. Is this a significant drop? Explain.
6. Give an example of a situation in which you believe a Type I Error is more serious than a Type II Error. Give an example of a situation in which you believe a Type II Error is more serious than a Type I Error. In each case, why do you think so?
7. What does the p-value tell the business statistician, especially in terms of the normal curve? If the p-value is smaller than the level of significance, what does that mean in terms of the null hypothesis? Why?
8. A research firm tracks the average highway speed of 30 drivers driving home on Day 1. For the next 10 days, the drivers are given two cups of coffee 1 hour before the drive home. On the 10th day, the average highway speed is measured again. Does this study involve dependent or independent samples? You are interested in knowing if there is a statistical difference in driving speeds between Day 1 and Day 10. Which statistical test would be appropriate? Why?
9. Provide an example of where you could use correlation in real life. Explain why a t-test is necessary before you accept this correlation as being real in the population.
10. Compare and contrast Spearman and Pearson correlations.
11. In ANOVA analysis, what is the real meaning of the term treatment? What does this really mean? Provide some examples of treatments from a business or managerial perspective.
12. How many different tests does the textbook give you for applying the chi-square distribution? What are these tests? How could you use each of these tests at your place of business?