For this assignment, you will write a 5 page paper providing an overview of the role of the discipline of project management in today’s global economy. Well-written papers will provide a complete, yet concise overview of the topic and address all the key points outlined below in the assignment details. This paper is a good opportunity for you to begin developing a strong grasp of the important role that project management plays globally and understand your own position relative to the industry.
For this assignment, you need to write a 5 page paper that answers the following key topical questions:
1. What is the role of project management in today’s professional environment? Be sure to speak to your own experience within a broader national and global context.
2. Why has project management become, and why does it continue to be a primary lens or means of accomplishing work within most organizational settings globally?
3. What is the role of projects, programs, and portfolios within most organizational settings, and what is the linkage between these and an organization’s strategic plan and direction?
4. How might different organizational structures affect how projects are executed, and how does project management adapt within these differing organizational contexts?
5. What are the variations between different frameworks, such as agile or waterfall, and what are the benefits that each brings to the development process?
This paper is directly linked to the following key learning outcomes from the course syllabus:
Defining and distinguishing between projects, programs, and portfolios
Describing the importance of project management
Describing the effect of organizational structure on project management
Using the PMI Project Management Framework
Describing the various frameworks that can be utilized for development (waterfall or agile etc.)
In addition to these key learning outcomes, you will also have the opportunity to evidence the following skills through completing this assignment:
Ability to follow APA 6 writing guidelines
Evidence a global perspective
Reflect on your own position relative to the discipline of project management
Critically analyze those factors that make project management relevant in today’s global economy