For this assignment, you will compare the position of police chief with that of a business executive.
- What are the similarities and differences in the leadership styles of a business executive and a police chief? Refer to the traits discussed earlier in the course.
- In what specific ways do a police chief’s management tasks resemble those of an executive in private business? A police chief does not need to meet with stockholders, and a business executive doesn’t have to interrogate suspects, but they do have numerous tasks in common.
- Strategic planning is an important part of leadership. Of course, a police chief will have the goal of reducing crime rates. Explain at least five other legitimate, measurable goals that a police chief will want to attain. How will the chief determine whether the goals have been met?
- Discuss the specific leadership requirements that subordinates in a police department will have, and show how they resemble or differ from those in a private company. In other words, show how the supervision needs of a patrol officer or dispatcher would differ from those of an employee in a typical business.
- A difficult challenge confronting many police departments is that of recruitment and hiring. Many departments find it difficult or impossible to recruit new officers to match the diversity of the community. How can a police chief address this challenge?
Support your analysis and suggestions with proper reasoning, examples, and research data. Use structured text like bolding, headings, bulleted lists, and charts/tables where appropriate to increase the clarity of your communication. Cite the resources you use in APA style.