Organizational Communication – Final Research Paper
Q. Submit a Final research paper (6 page minimum and 8 page maximum) on a significant issue concerning Organizational Communication.
– I have attached the final paper RUBRIC below
– I have also attached the topic that we chose for my final paper
FINAL PAPER – Papers are due 5/5
Each student is required to submit a final paper (7 page minimum to 8 page maximum) on a significant issue concerning organizational communication. The topic, selected by the student and approved by the professor, can focus on any of the subjects listed on the syllabus.
Do NOT use Wikipedia
Research Paper Assignment
Your final paper must include the following:
· Title page with your name, course, date etc.
· Executive summary (not more than one paragraph)
· Outline of paper
· Analytical essay with an introduction, a body of supporting evidence and a conclusion
· Internal citations of sources OR footnotes to identify your sources in the text of the paper
· Bibliography page (at least 10-15 credible sources)
1. Executive summary – in one or two brief paragraphs, identifies, organizes and summarizes the major points in the research assignment.
1. ______ Abstract present, focused, and informative. It summarizes all major points of the paper.
2. ______ Abstract present, focused, and informative, but it is missing one or two major points of the paper.
3. ______ Abstract present, but rambling, disorganized, or gives no information about what was done and/or what was found
4. ______ No abstract present
2. Outline of research paper’s content – uses correct outline format to identify main ideas and supporting evidence (introduction, body and conclusion). Synthesizes the material in an outline.
1. ______ Outline is in correct format, identifies all main points and supporting evidence including the introduction, body, and conclusion.
2. ______ Outline presented, but it is not in the correct format or is missing main points and/or supporting evidence.
3. ______ Outline presented, but it is not in the correct format and is missing main points and/or supporting evidence.
4.______ Outline is not presented in any format.
3. Clear presentation and research of the thesis statement that identifies the focus of the research assignment. Apply appropriate research methods to study a question. Respond to the research question with the terms that are relevant to the discipline.
1. ______ Thesis statement is clear and focused, and the research methods used to answer the question are appropriate.
2. ______ Thesis statement is slightly unclear and unfocused or the research methods used to answer the question are slightly inappropriate.
3. ______ Thesis statement is slightly unclear and unfocused and the research methods used to answer the question are slightly inappropriate.
4. ______ Thesis statement is completely unclear and unfocused and the research methods used to answer the question are inappropriate.
4. Accuracy of Facts: Evaluate the credibility and reliability of sources
1.______All facts presented are accurate, credible, reliable and relate back to the main point.
2. ______Almost all facts presented are accurate and credible and occasionally relate back to the main point.
3. ______Most facts presented are accurate (at least 70%), credible and reliable. Evidence is scattered about rather than used to support the main point.
4.______There are several factual errors and there is no real effort to make the piece cohesive or determine the credibility and reliability of sources.
5. Internal citations – Cite sources correctly in the text. Locate sources, find and collect data which are appropriate to address the research topic. When you use examples, visual materials or quotes to support your points, make sure your internal citations correctly attribute all direct quotes, paraphrases, images and facts etc. to the original source of the information.
1. ______ All material in correctly attributed to the original source in the correct MLA/APA format.
2. ______ Most of the material is correctly attributed in the correct format. There are only a few errors.
3. ______ Many facts, examples, visual materials, etc. are not attributed to the original source.
4. ______ Material is not attributed to the original source. No attempt to put sources in the correct format was made.
6. Bibliography –credible and substantive sources that you have integrated into your research assignment; you must list them in correct MLA or APA format, alphabetical order by author. Cite sources correctly in the bibliography
1. ______ All sources are cited correctly in MLA or APA format.
2. ______ Most of the sources are cited in the correct format. There are only a few punctuation or style errors.
3. ______ Sources are missing from the bibliography, or there are major mistakes in the format.
4. ______ Sources are missing, and those that are there are not in the correct format.
Regarding the research you undertake for your assignment: Research is an important aspect of good scholarly writing. When you do research, please do not just go on the Internet and start typing in or copying whatever results you find from a Google search. Grant it there are some worthwhile sites on the Internet that are credible. However, I want you to think a bit beyond what you are reading.
Ask yourself these questions:
• Is it Authoritative? Is the site highly regarded that is references and linked to by others? Is the information well referenced, cited, and written by authors with expertise in the content area?
• What’s the Educational Value? Is the site a leading source of content that exceeds instructional goals?
• What’s the Intent? Is the site a highly regarded source of information whose job is to inform?
• What is the Originality? Is the site a primary source of original content and viewpoints?
• What’s the Quality? Is the site content a good quality and there is good content area coverage?
Do NOT use Wikipedia, ask.com, about.com or any other open source that is not scholarly.
If in doubt, your best bet is to use the Library’s databases and if articles are unavailable use Interlibrary Loan to obtain them. They have excellent resources, which are viewed as scholarly, educational, original, authoritative, etc.