Pick one of the debates ongoing in the US about norms of mutual toleration and institutional forbearance. Tell me what the debate is about – what should we know? What is going on? Then tell me what you think about it? Is this “bad” for our democracy? Make sure to think about this in the context of “How Democracies Die” and our discussion about democracy in the US. Make sure to cite what you find.
1. Should the president be able to pardon himself?
2. Should the Senate end/get rid of the filibuster?
3. Is Congress using the threat of impeachment too much?
Others that you could think about
4. Should the Senate treat all Presidential appointees the same?
5. Should the President be limited in their use of executive orders and vetoes?
Aaron Burr – Original 30s Got Milk Commercial – Who Shot Alexander Hamilton? (1993) (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.