- Two characteristics of utilitarianism are how our actions affect human happiness and the benefits of consequences of actions as everyone is affected.
- Virtue ethics
- Is defined as the view that morality is grounded in the virtuous character traits that people acquire (Fieser, 2015 Sec 1.3). These character traits are derived from natural urges, overindulgence, insensibility and temperance.
- Is based on treating others because they are valuable and not as a tool to use to our advantage. The other characteristic is appreciating others because they possess special qualities and not because of their instrumental value (Fieser, 2015 Sec 1.3).
- The issue that stood out in the Starbucks video was the effects of overproduction of coffee beans which lead to farmers going out of business. In response to this problem Starbucks used utilitarian approach to find a solution. By this I mean they wanted to do what was morally right to ensure that the consequences were favorable to everyone. They established a buying program called CAFÉ Practices which helped create a way of purchasing coffee that was sustainable, environmentally and socially responsible. They make sure that the farmers they purchase from are treated fairly and paid a fair wage and have other benefits. By taking care of the people on the ground doing the day to day tedious job this benefits everyone involved. This is another characteristic of utilitarianism.
- Two characteristics of utilitarianism are happiness and actions. Utilitarianism can have an effect on one’s happiness. This can be integral in decision making and assessing a certain situation. Second is action, the decision that someone makes can have a lasting impact on others. Your actions can not only affect you but members around you similar to a ripple effect.
- Two characteristics of virtue ethics are temperance and courage. The text goes over the issues related to Berny Madoff and the Ponzi scheme he was indicted for. The text state that he was driven by the desire for wealth, habitually overindulged in the acquisition of it, and completely lacked the virtue of temperance. (Fieser, 2015) Next is courage, courage is need for most fearful decisions but one needs to possess a healthy amount of courage because to much will lead you to doing something deadly are harmful.
- Deontology which also means duty is an extension of philosopher Immanue Kant’s Golden Rule or categorical imperative. Two characteristic of deontology are what is best for everyone and what is best for each individual needs. Second is treating people as an end, and never merely as a means to an end. The first part of the categorical imperative, then, says that we should treat all people as beings with intrinsic value and regard them as highly as we would our own happiness. (Fieser, 2015) Instead of valuing worldly possessions of our own or that someone else may heave we should instead cherish the individuals as a person.
- With regards to Starbucks during the video I noticed the conditions that the farmers where working in. It was stated that Starbucks worked with the local government for the farmers in that specific country to make sure they are being payed fairly and that they receive healthcare and things of that nature. The images didn’t seem to show that in great detail. I personally believe that Starbucks should equip the farmers along with the workers with state of the art facilities and equipment, similar to what you see in this country. Working conditions should be up to U.S standards and not just local government. Having a representative in every country to facilitate these changes and actions would help considerably. I believe that Starbucks have done the work that they mention on the video but something tells me that it can be improved and that some corners may be cut to facilitate more money being generated.
- Each of your replies should be at least 200 words and informed by the course material. As such, the replies must have citations and references in APA notation. Your list of references for each reply should include all of the course material that has informed your reply, in addition to any research that you have obtained on your own.
- One of your replies should identify the notion of the moral good in deontology and compare that to the account of utilitarianism in Starbucks presented in your fellow student’s post. Analyze how these different notions of the moral good lead to different approaches with regard to how to address the problem even if, ultimately, the result turns out to be the same or similar.
- In your second reply, you should identify the notion of the moral good in virtue ethics and compare and discuss that to the account of utilitarianism in Starbucks presented in your fellow student’s post. Analyze how these different notions of the moral good lead to different approaches with regard to how to address the problem even if, ultimately, the result turns out to be the same or similar.
- Your replies should focus on the specific examination presented by your fellow student and should include an examination of whether or not the characteristics of the ethical theory were identified well, and whether or not their application and analysis were also carried out successfully. Providing such an examination is not an attack on your fellow student but an attempt to work together with your fellow student toward the better understanding of the ethical theories employed, as well as their application.
We are a professional writing service that provides original papers. Our products include academic papers of varying complexity and other personalized services, along with research materials for assistance purposes only. All the materials from our website should be used with proper references.