For this Portfolio Project option, you will encapsulate what you have learned about leadership and about yourself throughout this course. Before you begin, reflect on all the assignments in the course.
Imagine yourself assuming a leadership role in your current organization, or in the organization that handled the disaster from Module 1 (CT Option 2). Develop a decision-making plan to share with current leaders in your organization, or the leaders involved with the event. Your plan should demonstrate how you could serve as an effective leader within an organization or during such an event. Your plan must include the following components:
- Describe the leadership role, including its responsibilities.
- Provide a breakdown of the decision-making process(es) required. Include at least one diagram to illustrate this analysis.
- Assess additional factors that might affect this leadership role, such as policies, external agencies/organizations, employee motivation, communication strategies, team-building needs, relationship-building needs, individual differences (e.g., emotions, attitudes, values), and training.
- Outline your decision-making approach.
- Hypothesize the implications that your plan may have on future organizational problems/challenges/opportunities.
- Use theories from this course to support your plan.
Keep in mind that this decision-making plan should reflect your capabilities as an individual and as a leader. It should also synthesize leadership and decision-making knowledge acquired in this course.
This assignment may be delivered in the form most suitable to your response. You can write a paper or create a slide presentation, website, or video. You could also try out a new tool such as Prezi or VoiceThread.
- If you choose a written format, your paper should be 10-12 pages in length; if you choose a slide presentation, it should include 20-24 slides, with notes and narration to support the content of your slides. If you choose an alternative format, it should contain the same depth, breadth, substance, and quality as described above. A website must contain at least 3-4 pages based on sound design principles, and include content depth. A video must be 5-6 minutes in length, and an audio cast must be at least 20-30 minutes long, both demonstrating good production principles. Such principles include, for example, color choices, readable font sizes and types, and appropriate and professional graphics for a website or presentation. For audio, make sure the recording is not “choppy.” It is usually a good idea to follow a script when recording. The recording should sound professional and be free of background noise.
- Cite a minimum of eight scholarly sources to support your positions, claims, and observations, in addition to the textbook, six of which should be academic, peer-reviewed sources. (You may not use the required and recommended readings for this course.)
- Format your project according to the CSU-Global Guide to Writing & APA (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. The CSU-Global Library also has helpful information on creating presentations.