Discussion: Importance, Functions, and Innovations in Human Resources
Some important benefits that an HR department contributes to an organization are systematization, time management, and personnel efficiency (Maurom, 2017). HR departments handle a variety of functions: hiring and firing employees, training workers, addressing interoffice relationships, and interpreting employment laws (Scott, 2018). Social media websites such as Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter have opened up new possibilities for managing internal and external communications for HR departments (SHRM India, 2018).
In this weekâ€™s Discussion, you will explain the functions and importance of a HR department. You also will explain how social media and technological innovations have impacted HR.
Maurom J. A., (2017, August, 28). Organization: The most important human resources professional skill. Society for Human Resource Management. Retrieved from https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/tools-and-s…
Scott, S. (2018, October 20). Six main functions of a human resource department. Bizfluent. Retrieved from https://bizfluent.com/info-8244762-six-functions-h…
SHRM India (2018, May 2). The Importance of social media in HR. Society for Human Resource Management. Retrieved from https://blog.shrm.org/sasia/blog/the-importance-of…
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review the Learning Resources for this week.
- Focus on reviewing Chapters 1-3 of the Fallon and McConnell (2014) textbook.
- Consider the functions of the HR departments in organizations where you have worked and think about how the organization would have functioned differently had there been no HR department.
By Day 4
Post a comprehensive response to the following:
- Explain why an HR department is important.
- Explain 5 functions an HR department performs.
- Explain how the role of HR has changed with the upsurge of social media and the continuing advancement of technology.
Support your Discussion and peer responses with in-text citations and references from specific Learning Resources.