Final Exam Extra Credit
Due: Saturday, December 22 at 11:59PM. Submit this on Blackboard! Do not do this before the final. Your first priority is studying for the final.
Extra Credit Points: Depend on the quality of the write up, you can get between 0 to 10 percent applied to the final exam.
Machine learning or artificial intelligence is currently a very popular field in computer programming. It is a branch of artificial intelligence based on the idea that systems can learn from data, identify patterns and make decisions with minimal human intervention. Applications include cognitive assistants such as Alexa and Siri, autonomous driving, image and speech recognition. Central to all of these applications is neural networks.
The following video is part of my Youtube series on Image Recognition with Neural Networks. There are a total of 6 videos. You are only required to watch the first one. The videos explain the math behind neural networks and how to write a Python program that recognizes images. The only prerequisite for watching these videos is some basic precalculus.
Your write up should include the following:
· Write a summary discussing the main points from the video.
· Explain the function that make image recognition possible.
· Explain in detail, the inputs and outputs, of the function. This may require you to look up matrix multiplication, a topic we did not cover.
· Discuss how function composition is used to create this function.
· Include a discussion of the dataset used.
· Explain the training process of machine learning.
Your write up should be approximately 1.5 pages, double space.
The link to the video is posted below.
I’d appreciate it if you “like” the video and subscribe to the channel! I hope to continue to create videos on interesting ideas in math accessible to a general audience.