Assignment 2: Course Project—Cost-Volume-Profit Analysis with Capital Budgeting
In this assignment, your goal is to use CVP analysis in a presentation of your project to enable a prospective investor to decide if your project is worth investing in. You will apply the concepts of CVP analysis learned in Modules 3 and 4 to the project you selected in Module 2.
Review the Course Project Guidelines.
From the Microsoft Excel worksheet you developed in Modules 3 and 4, create a basic pro forma statement necessary to convince someone to provide the start-up funding of the project and then use this information, along with other outside research to create a Microsoft Power Point presentation. The slides of your presentation should be visually appealing—only containing the key points while the speaker notes associated with each slide should provide the essential details.
To create a pro forma statement:
- Summarize the company and explain CVP and Capital budgeting. Use outside resources to best explain CVP and capital budgeting.
- Identify and list the various costs—fixed and variable, direct and indirect—required to execute the project.
- Calculate the break-even point for the project and the expected financial returns. (This is the work you have been doing in the CVP template). Make sure you show your Excel formulas or provide calculations so your instructor can review your work. Save your final calculations as MS6010_M5A2_CVP_Lastname_Firstinitial.xls. The completed template must accompany the slide presentation.
- Include a brief discussion of key points of any intangible benefits or costs associated with the project.
- Supplement your pro forma statement with sufficient background information to enable a prospective investor to decide if your company is worth investing in.
- The detail must have enough historic data to give an investor an understanding of trends.
- You should also have sufficient written background so that a potential investor understands the business. Use the speaker notes area of your presentation to add background information that you would communicate verbally in a presentation. This background information should be 1 to 2 pages in length.
Support your predictions and suggestions with scholarly resources and empirical evidence. Use APA format to cite your sources. Use this APA Citation Helper as a convenient reference for properly citing resources.
Your submission should include the following.
- Your MS Excel worksheet named MS6010_M5A2_CVP_Lastname_Firstinitial, detailing all calculations.
- A minimum of 15 Microsoft PowerPoint slides (full copy of slides with notes) presentation.
- Include the required information concisely highlighting only the key points necessary for the purpose of this presentation, which is to convince a prospective investor to decide if your project is worth investing in.
- Your presentation should include sections addressing the topics listed and presented in bulleted format, avoiding long paragraphs of content.
- Support your predictions and suggestions with scholarly resources and empirical evidence.
- Use APA format to cite your sources.
- Speaker notes totaling 2–3 pages providing the background summary and details for each slide.
- Name your presentation MS6010_Course Project_Lastname_Firstinitial.
By the due date assigned , submit the final presentation to the Submissions Area.