Analyzing Financial Statements Of United States Based Corporations
Select a United States based public (shares are listed on a major stock exchange) company for this project. Company selected is Apple. You will need to locate the company’s income statement and balance sheet for the past two years. The project is to be completed individually – this is not a group project.
APPLE inc. NASDAQ: AAPL
1. For each year please determine/calculate the following:
Net income before taxes
Income tax rate
Earnings per share
Gross profit margin
Net profit margin
Debt to total assets ratio
Book value (owners’ equity)
2. Prepare a comparative financial statement analysis (horizontal analysis) for each of the 15 categories/financial measures.
3. Prepare a spreadsheet that shows all of the data, calculations, and analyses.
4. For each of the categories/financial measures that show a difference between the two years, determine what factors could have caused the differences.
5. Prepare a multimedia presentation, using a tool of your choosing, to present your explanation for the differences in each of the specific categories/financial measures. Please include visuals/graphs when delivering your analysis of the data! Your visual presentation should be in the range of 10 to 15 minutes.