You will create this assignment following the Assignment Detail instructions below. This assignment will be submitted in the Unit 5 – Submission Assignment lesson in intellipath.
Review the tutorial titled How to Submit the Intellipath Submission Assignment.
Please submit your work to this week’s Intellipath Unit Submission lesson. Click the Upload button within the submission lesson to access the submission area. Click the Select File button to upload your document, and then click “OK” to finish.
Though colonialism may have officially ended, the effects of colonialism are still very much present today. This is true in modern-day Africa.
Review the following resources for additional information on the slave trade in Africa:
- Origins of African Slaves: Slave Trade Routes
- Lasting Effects of Slavery on Africa
- African Countries and Independence Dates
Select 1 of the following countries from which the most slaves originated:
- Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Ivory Coast
Use this template to complete your paper:
- For your selected country, identify the former colonial ruling country.
- Identify your selected country’s date of independence from the colonial ruling country, and discuss the length of time the slave trade operated there.
- Discuss how the depopulation and fractured familial relationships inherent in the slave trade have affected your chosen country. Be sure to support your discussion with relevant examples.
- Are these effects still felt today? If so, how? Provide examples.
- Based on your review of this information, what conclusions can you draw about the slave trade and its effects on your selected country?
- Based on your key findings and conclusions, what recommendations do you have to help improve the conditions in the country now? Make sure your recommendations:
- include specific interventions or strategies to address the issues and constraints identified
- are feasible (politically and operationally)
- are realistic (short- and long-term)
- Utilize at least 2 credible sources to support the arguments presented in the paper. Make sure you cite them appropriately within your paper, and list them in APA format on your Reference page.
- Your paper should be 4–5 pages in length, not counting the Title page and Reference page. In accordance with APA formatting requirements, your paper should include a Title and Reference page, should be double-spaced, and include a running head and page numbers.
Boddy-Evans, A. (2017, September 18). Chronological list of African independence. Retrieved from https://www.thoughtco.com/chronological-list-of-african-independence-4070467
Pruitt, S. (2016, May 3). What part of Africa did most slaves come from? HISTORY. Retrieved from http://www.history.com/news/ask-history/what-part-of-africa-did-most-slaves-come-from
Ross, W. (2007, March 29). Slavery’s long effects on Africa. BBC News. Retrieved from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6504141.stm
Assignment CriteriaProficient DescriptorPointsCountry Selection & Identification of Ruling CountrySelects a country from the list provided & Identifies the former colonial ruling country /5 pts.Duration of Slave Trade and Date of IndependenceDiscusses the length of time the slave trade operated in the selected country and identifies the date of independence from the ruling country /10 pts.Impact of depopulation and fractured relationships• Discusses depopulation and fractured familial relationships inherent in the slaves and its impact on the selected country.
• Supports discussion with relevant examples /40 pts.Analysis of effects in current day• Analyzes existence and impact of these effects in the current day.
• Provides examples to support the analysis. /30 pts.ConclusionsDraws thoughtful and informed conclusions about the slave trade and its effects on the selected country /10 pts.Recommendations• Provides recommendations that are prioritized to respond to key findings and conclusions.
• Recommendations include specific interventions/strategies to address the issues and constraints identified.
• Recommendations are feasible (politically and operationally) and realistic (short and long-term). /25 pts.Writing Quality & Accurate Attribution• Writing is clear, well-articulated and free of grammar, punctuation, and spelling errors.
• Information sources (a minimum of two) utilized are clearly identified, properly cited and referenced using APA Style /25 pts.Submission Length & APA FormatPaper length is as per assignment requirements, is double-spaced, and includes a title page, reference page, running head and page numbers. /5 ptsTotal /150 pts.
If you are planning to repurpose an assignment or submit one you have used before, please let your instructor know. If an instructor is not made aware of work being repurposed or reused, he or she will treat the assignment as a plagiarized task and reserves the right to post an F grade and submit a task for review to administration until proof of originality is provided. Click here for more information.
The following are some tips if you have problems submitting your assignment:
- Resave in the proper format per the Assignment Detail instructions, and resubmit.
- Submit with a different Web browser.
- Submit from a different computer.
- Call Technical Support at 877-221-5800, Menu Option 2. They are open 24/7.
- If you are still having difficulties after trying steps 1–4, please contact your course instructor.
Make sure you submit this assignment by the listed due date. Late deductions will apply for this assignment as follows:
- Assignments submitted within 7 calendar days after the stated due date: 10% penalty of total assignment points.
- Assignments submitted 8–14 calendar days after the stated due date: 20% penalty of total assignment points.
- Assignments submitted 15–21 calendar days after the stated due date: 30% penalty of total assignment points.
- Assignments submitted 22–28 calendar days after the stated due date: 40% penalty of total assignment points.
- No assignments, including late assignments, will be accepted after the end of the course unless an approved Incomplete has been granted.
There is no additional information to display at this time.
- Extra Credit
- View Assignment Rubric